News & Updates
A Note from the Director
The 2018 STPF orientation feels both like yesterday and a lifetime ago. I hope the fellowship this year has sharpened your ability to bring your scientific training to bear on hard problems, deepened your skillset, and widened your knowledge of the federal policy world. And, I trust that this year has revealed a larger professional network and new lifelong friends for all of you.
A group of alumni are thinking strategically with STPF staff about ways the STPF network can be leveraged and alumni can remain engaged at the intersection of policy and science: expect to see more information on those efforts next year. In the meantime, keep up your lines of communication with each other: join an STPF alumni email list.
You are joining an influential alumni network well over 3,000 strong! I look forward to seeing what you do next and know that you will be leaders in all of the wide-ranging communities where you choose to focus. Please keep in touch.
- Jennifer Pearl, STPF Director and Alumna
Stay in Touch
As your life continues to unfold, let us know where your career takes you. We are eager to share your news – from significant projects and honors to job moves – in any number of our publications and platforms from LinkedIn and Twitter to Fellowship Focus (circulation 16,000+).
Keep your program manager in the loop or click here to submit your news – now and well into the future!
Pay it Forward: Feed the Scipol Pipeline
The STPF application is open through November 1. That means future fellows have lots of questions about the fellowship and how to apply. Want to help feed the pipeline? Choose a method below!
Check out the new STPF Virtual Outreach Toolkit. It has quick tips and tools for you to write an email, tweet/post, or submit text to a newsletter or website. Messages from fellows are the number one way to reach prospective applicants. Retweet/share STPF posts or write your own post a few times each year – your posts have the greatest impact!
- Tell your friends and colleagues about the online chat series. On August 14, we’ll talk about What’s It Like to Be a Fellow. Chats are recorded and available on demand: https://www.aaas.org/news/2019-chat-series.
- Sign up to Champion Future Fellows by making phone calls to in-progress applicants, answering their questions and encouraging them to hit “submit.” You will be provided with talking points and answers to common questions. Sign up here: https://stpf.tfaforms.net/4629032.
Education & Events
Friday, August 2; 9-4 pm
Join your fellow fellows to celebrate the accomplishments of the past year, expand your professional networks, and explore how you can continue to be a force for science post-fellowship! Learn how you can impact science policy at the state and local level; discover what your fellow fellows have been up to in lightning-fast “10x20” presentations, and give a toast to all your achievements at the farewell reception. There’s nothing like ending on a high note so be sure to join us to celebrate the STPF Class of 2018-19!
* Looking for financial info & forms? Find them from your Dashboard on FellowsCentral.
* Questions? Submit it via Freshdesk.
Reimbursement Deadline: September 30. There is only a month left in the fellowship year. Have you been reimbursed for all of your travel? TERs must be received by AAAS on or before September 30 – no exceptions.
Departing Fellows: COBRA and W2. At the conclusion of your fellowship, you will receive a notification regarding COBRA mailed to the address on file with ADP. If you are relocating, please update your address with ADP to ensure you receive W2s and COBRA information. All fellows will continue to have access to ADP for up to two years after departing from the fellowship.
(1) Please think about any changes in coverage you may need for the upcoming fellowship year. Information on open enrollment season will be provided in August.
(2) Travel/Training will not be approved for the 2019-20 fellowship until mid- to late-August. Please note that agency/placement funding and/or next year’s final funding agreement may not be complete until that time and we cannot commit funds without one or both of those items.
(3) Have a question for the STPF Finance Team? Beginning on September 1, there is a new process for submitting any travel, training, career coaching, PTO, and employment-related questions. First, please search Freshdesk for an answer to your question. Then, if you can’t find it there, ask your question by submitting a ticket to us on Freshdesk. Click here for a guide to submitting tickets. Please do not use the old fellowstravel or AFPI email addresses. (For travel/training and PTO requests, you should continue to initiate them through FellowsCentral to obtain mentor and STPF Finance Team approval.)